Steam is one of the largest digital platforms and offers many useful features to make the gaming experience much more enjoyable. Steam Overlay is one of those features that works in the background. It also allows the players to communicate with other fellow players. Many times, players face the issue of steam overlay not working, read on to find the solutions for this issue.
Methods to fix steam overlay not working
Let us see some of the simple fixes for this error.
Disable and re-enable the Steam Overlay for individual games
Restarting Steam is the simplest fix. To make sure that the Steam Overlay is enabled for the individual game that is affected, follow these instructions:
- Go to Steam and click on the Steam.
- Click on Settings.
- Select In-game from the left pane.
- Check the “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game” box.
- Confirm changes.
- Go to Library and right-click on the affected game.
- Open Properties.
- Mark the “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game” box.
- Save changes
Run the Steam client as an administrator
Follow the below steps to run Steam as an admin:
- Go to Steam client’s desktop shortcut and right-click on it to open Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab.
- Check the “Run this program as an administrator” box.
- Confirm changes
Make sure you’re running the latest version
Your Steam desktop client should be up to date. See below steps to check for updates in the Steam client:
- Open Steam and click on the Steam in the Main bar.
- Choose to Check for Steam Client Updates.
- When updates are installed and restart Steam
Kill the “gameoverlayui.exe” process
Follow these instructions to kill the gameoverlayui.exe. process:
- Go to Steam and start the game.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
- Click on Task Manager.
- Find “gameoverlayui.exe” under processes to terminate it.
Disable other third-party applications while gaming
Follow these instructions to disable all third-party programs:
- Type MSConfig in the Windows Search bar to open System Configuration.
- Go to the Services tab and check the “Hide all Microsoft services” box.
- Click “Disable all.”
- Go to the Startup tab and select Task Manager.
- Prevent all programs from starting with the system.
- Confirm the changes and Restart your PC.
Add an exception for Windows Firewall and a third-party antivirus
Many times, a third-party firewall blocks the Steam from accessing network. You can opt for either disabling all firewalls while playing or may create an exception.
Follow these steps to create an exception in Windows Firewall:
- Type Firewall in the Windows Search bar to open “Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Go to the Change settings button.
- Scroll down and check that Steam is allowed to access both Private and Public networks.
- Restart PC after confirming changes.
Check the game integrity
Follow these steps to run it from the Steam desktop client:
- Open the Steam desktop client.
- Go to Library.
- Right-click on the game that is affected.
- Go to Properties.
- Click on the LOCAL FILES tab.
- Click on the “VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES…” icon.
Update Windows 10
Make sure, that you have updated Windows 10. Don’t use the insider versions of both Windows 10 and Steam. Also, the Beta programs are not stable and can result in instability and bad performance.
Go to Settings and click on Update & Security. Tap on Recovery and choose to rollback Windows 10 to a previous version.
Try above fixes to solve steam overlay not working. If still, you face any issue, take the help of customer support.
Read more: Netlfix error